Thursday, May 6, 2010
Berry Mousse Parfait
As summer rounds the corner, wiggling its sunny toes at us, one can't help but smell fruit in the air. Red raspberries and strawberries glitter like rubies at the farmers market, ripe and plump and begging to be baked with. Not to mention the fact that we all are looking for a light and lovely treat to tickle our mid-may morning sweet tooth. How does a little frothy white chocolate mousse sound with a luscious layer of fresh berries and pleasant puree?
Perfect for your next picnic, try out this Berry Mousse Parfait!
Berry Mousse Parfait
Makes Six Servings
White Chocolate Mousse Ingredients:
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
3 ounces white chocolate (chopped)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Berry Puree Ingredients:
12 ounces frozen strawberries or raspberries (or mix)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 pint strawberries (fresh and sliced)
1 pint raspberries (fresh)
1 tablespoon sugar
To Make the Mousse:
1) Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar in a medium stainless-steel mixing bowl or top of a double boiler.
2) Stir in the orange juice, water, and lemon juice.
3) Set bowl over pot of simmering water (making sure the bottom does not touch the water) or use a double boiler.
4) Whisk eggs briskly until thick and the mixture has tripled in volume (2 to 3 minutes).
5) Remove bowl from the stove and whisk in the white chocolate until smooth. Let cool to room temperature stirring occasionally.
6) Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold it into the white chocolate.
To Make the Sauce:
1) Puree the frozen berries in a food processor.
2) Strain the puree through a fine-mesh sieve to get rid of the seeds (you can skip this step if you don't mind seeds in your puree).
3) Add sugar, and then taste and add additional sugar if needed.
To Prep the Berries:
1) Slice the strawberries into manageable bites.
2) Mix strawberries and raspberries in a bowl and add sugar. Taste and add additional sugar if needed.
To Assemble the Parfait:
1) Find six clear glasses or plastic cups.
2) Layer the ingredients in the following order: Berries, mousse, sauce, berries, mouse, sauce, etc.
3) Refrigerate parfait for several hours before serving.
4) Add a garnish of berries, mint, or a cookie before serving.