Thursday, May 20, 2010
Guilt-Free Berry Pie
"I think I gained ten pounds just looking at your blog."
This seems to be one of the most common comments I get about this blog. And unless your eyeballs have actually discovered a way to turn the phenomena of mouth watering into cold hard calories, I don't think anyone is gaining an ounce. But I do get the sentiment. All these cakes and fluffy frostings do create a few sinful cravings. An next thing you know you've eaten a whole bag of Oreos and sold your shoes for a Twinkie.
So for the waist-watching masses I've decided to tickle your taste buds once more - but in the guilt free sorta way. Now you can make this tasty berry pie and not even bat an eye at the treadmill.
Sweet Splenda Strawberry Berry Pie
Makes on pie.
Use one recipe of Pate Brisee.
1) You will only need half of this recipe, but you can make the full batch and have two pies!
2) If you want to de-calorie even further use margarine or a butter substitute for the butter in the recipe.
One nine inch pie shell baked. Or use 1/2 of Pate Brisee recipe link above.
4 cups sliced strawberries (or mixture of berries)
2 cups water
1 cup granulated Splenda
2 tbsp corn starch
2 boxes of sugar free strawberry Jello (or any other flavor you want)
Cool whip or whipped topping
1) Bake pie shell for five to ten minutes.
2) Pour strawberries (or other berries) into baked, cooled, pie shell and set aside.
3) Mix water, Splenda, cornstarch in a sauce pan and cook at medium heat, stirring till it boils.
4) Continue stirring and let boil for two minutes.
5) Slowly pour in Jello mixes. Stir till disolved.
6) Pour mixture over berries in pie shell.
7) Refrigerate until set.
8) Top with whipped cream and serve!
Okay, now go make and eat this one! I don't want to hear any complaining about gaining weight from sugarfree and fat-free pie!! (Plus it's good!)
Also, a special berry-riffic shout-out to Russell Gearhart Photography! And a quick behind the scenes look at how he gets those baked good to look absolutely calorie-inducing through photography alone: