Monday, March 15, 2010
Guinness Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting
How will you celebrate this St. Patrick's Day?
"How green is your beer?" The Irish (and non-Irish alike) reply. Yes, many of us will be lining up at the pub for a pint or two of green gold. But to that I say:
"How drunk is your cupcake?"
Yes, even the illusive leprechauns perked up their ears at that one. Sure, green beer is a St. Patrick's Day staple. Drink your green beer baby. But that doesn't mean your cake has to be the designated driver. In fact, I dare you to intoxicate your cake (and make new friends - lots of new friends) with the fantastic Guinness cupcake recipe below. Chocolate + beer = St. Patrick's Day Bliss! Not to mention the Bailey's Irish Cream frosting, which is worthy of a limerick or two!
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
Makes approximately 20-24 cupcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted softened butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 bottle (12 fl. oz) Guinness Stout (1 1/2 cups)
1) Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2) Line cupcake tins with paper liners
3) In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
4) In a bowl or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until light and fluffy.
5) Add sour cream and beat in.
6) With the mixer running slowly, pour in the Guinness.
7) Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and slowly stir until it is evenly mixed. Be sure to scrape down the sides so everything is mixed in.
8) Divide the batter up into cupcake liners.
9) Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting
(It takes aprox. 1 and 1/2 batches of the following recipe to cover 24 cupcakes generously.)
1 8 oz. bar of cream cheese, softened
1 4 oz. stick of unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioner's sugar
4-6 tablespoons of Bailey's Irish Cream
1) Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, put cream cheese, butter, and sugar into the bowl and beat until fully. Slowly drizzle in the Bailey's. More Bailey's will add more flavor but will also make the frosting more watery. Beat until the Bailey's is completely incorporated into the frosting.
Feel free to decorate your cupcakes with some chocolate coins or use an idea from my previous post: Ten Cleverly Clover Cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Special thanks to the leprechauns at Russell Gearhart Photography.