Friday, March 19, 2010
Rockin' Elvis Cupcakes
According to rock-legend-lore, it is said that the King had an appetite for peanut butter and banana sandwiches. In some circles, it is said the sandwich was fried, in other circles are tales of bacon bits sprinkled between bites of bread. But in the cupcake circle this tall tale or true bit of trivia has translated into the - always delicious - Elvis Cupcake.
Everyone's Elvis is different, but the basic requirement is to make a cupcake that includes banana and peanut butter. So I put on my blue suede shoes and went to town! In my version of the King's confection, we have banana cake, with a peanut butter frosting, and a chocolate Elvis signature topper! Thank you very much!
Make your own musical magic (in cake) with the following recipe:
(makes approximately 18)
Banana Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Banana Cake Directions:
1) Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugar. I suggest using a stand mixer.
3) Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
4) In a new bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5) Add to larger bowl (with contents from steps 1 and 2) the bananas, dry ingredients, and buttermilk. I suggest doing this in a rotating fashion (first bananas, then dry ingredients, then buttermilk). Do this in three installments each, mixing between each addition.
6) Line cupcake tray with paper liners and fill each 2/3 full.
7) Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Peanut Butter Frosting:
You will need one recipe of butter cream frosting. Follow the directions in my post about how to make butter cream frosting and simply add 1/2 cup of peanut butter (or more if you want more flavor). You will also need an additional 1 or 2 tbsp of water to help make a smooth consistency of frosting.
To Make Elvis Decals:
1) Melt down some cooking chocolate in a double boiler.
2) When chocolate is liquid, pour into a parchment icing liner.
3) Snip a small hole in the tip of the parchment liner and squeeze out the chocolate. Write cursive Elvis signatures onto a clean sheet of parchment paper.
4) Let cool in the fridge for 5 minutes, then use to top your cupcakes!
Of course, if you aren't in a rock-n-roll mood, you can always just make banana cupcakes with the recipe above, which are super delicious as well!
Elvis himself once said - "Do what's right for you, as long as it don't hurt no one." And what I've gotta do...is bake!
Special thanks for the glamorous photos by Russell Gearhart Photography.