What do you do when you have two friends, one birthday party, and two favorite flavors of cake? Do you make two cakes for the same party? Doesn't that seem a little excessive? Not to mention a whole bunch-o-work!
I say let the inventing begin! Find out their favorite flavors and play mad-cake-scientist! It's Alive! It's Alive! It's....
Okay...it's only pineapple upside down lemon cake, I didn't bring anything back from the dead. But that doesn't mean a sweet cake concoction doesn't deserve its own lightning bolts and dramatic music!
I also decorated my monsterous cake with some white chocolate bark and piped butter cream icing. But this type of cake can be served without any decoration or icing at all.
Time to electrify your own friends with your own crazy cakes! And if you dare go a head and try some:
Pineapple Upsidedown Lemon Cake
1 pkg lemon cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1 can pineapple rings (drained)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
8-10 maraschino cherries
2) Pour mixture into a greased or stick-free cake pan.
3) Arrange pineapple rings and maraschino cherries in a single layer on top of the mixture. I like to put a cherry inside each ring.
4) Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
5) Combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and water and whisk.
6) Pour batter on top of the pineapple rings and sugar mixture.
7) Bake for until a toothpick comes out of the center of the cake clean (approx. 35-40 min or use time recommended on cake mix).
8) Let cake cool in the pan for another 10-20 minutes.
9) Flip cake out onto a serving platter. The cake will have some juices from the pineapple, so be careful.
Special thanks to Russell Gearhart Photography